1 a word that is composed of parts from different languages (e.g., `monolingual' has a Greek prefix and a Latin root) [syn: loanblend, loan-blend]
2 a composite of mixed origin; "the vice-presidency is a hybrid of administrative and legislative offices"
3 an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock; especially offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties or breeds or species; "a mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey" [syn: crossbreed, cross]
- AHD: hī'brĭd
- In the context of "biology": Offspring resulting from cross-breeding different entities, e.g. two different species or two purebreed parent strains.
- Something of mixed origin or composition.
- A word whose elements are derived from different languages.
- A car that runs on both gas and electricity or energy from the sun.
A hybrid is the combination of two or more different things, aimed at achieving a particular objective or goal. In different contexts this may refer to:
- In biology:
- Hybrid (biology), the offspring resulting from cross-breeding of different plants or animals.
- In culture
- Hybrid (producers), a British electronic music group
- Hybrid (album), an album by Michael Brook
- Hybrid (Gary Numan album), a remix album by Gary Numan
- Hybrid (DC Comics), a DC Comics supervillain group
- Hybrid (Marvel Comics), a name shared by two Marvel Comics characters
- Hybrid (role-playing game), a spoof role-playing game
- Hybrids, the third book in Robert J. Sawyer's The Neanderthal Parallax trilogy
- In etymology:
- Hybrid word, a word with mixed etymologies
- In finance:
- Hybrid security, an economic vehicle that combines elements of debt and equity
- In sports:
- Hybrid (golf), a type of golf club
hybrid in Bulgarian: Хибрид (пояснение)
hybrid in German: Hybrid
hybrid in Spanish: Híbrido
hybrid in Finnish: Hybridi
hybrid in French: Hybride (homonymie)
hybrid in Croatian: Hibrid
hybrid in Japanese: ハイブリッド
hybrid in Korean: 하이브리드
hybrid in Dutch: Hybride
hybrid in Norwegian: Hybrid (andre betydninger)
hybrid in Polish: Hybryda
hybrid in Portuguese: Híbrido
hybrid in Russian: Гибрид
hybrid in Swedish: Hybrid
hybrid in Thai: ไฮบริด
hybrid in Turkish: Hibrid
hybrid in Ukrainian: Гібрид (значення)
hybrid in Chinese: 雜種
Cape Colored, Eurasian, bastard, blend, cattalo, citrange, combination, composite, compound, contamination, cross, crossbred, crossbreed, crossed, griffe, half blood, half-bred, half-breed, half-caste, high yellow, hinny, hybrid word, hybridism, interbred, ladino, liger, macaronic, macaronicism, mestee, mestiza, mestizo, metis, metisse, mixblood, mixed-blood, mixture, mongrel, mulatto, mule, mustee, octoroon, plumcot, portmanteau, portmanteau word, portmantologism, quadroon, quintroon, sambo, tangelo, telescope word, tigon, zebrass, zebrule